Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Battle of the Gateway Cities Smackdown

The answer to "Where will I be living next year?" has been narrowed to two possibilities, neither of which are in Michigan. Dan has an offer in Chattanooga and is waiting to hear about last week's St. Louis job interview; he should know about that by the end of the week. I have to say, this state of suspense is much better than the "I have no idea" state, which was really stressing me out. Between waiting to hear from Chattanooga and the days leading up to the UM Commencement (an incredibly busy and emotionally charged time at work), there were a few nights in the last couple weeks when I couldn't get myself to sleep.

I've lived in Michigan for almost my whole life and I'm hungry for more adventure, so I feel relieved to know we're leaving. But until I know my next destination, I don't think that reality is really going to sink in. I'm quite crabby in the meantime. It's tinting my perspective. Every customer who calls me at work seems like the stupidest person in the world. I can't think of anything I want to eat for dinner. I got mad at Dan when he asked if he should bring me my tennis shoes before we took a walk in the park (why would anyone get mad about that question?). When I was at the Food Co-op buying cheese just now, I looked at a baby and thought, "Wow. She's ugly." I keep trying to cheer myself up, but it isn't working. Okay, the cheese is helping a little bit.

It isn't just the Chattanooga/St. Louis toss-up that's getting to me. I need a little more time away from work before I'll feel totally right, because one day off after a long week just wasn't enough. The end of the week holds so much for me - respite and an answer. For now, it's all I can do to not lose my cool.

3 comments:

  1. Wendell

    Yeah, it wasn't til today that I really got to relax properly, and y'all arguably had a lot more on your plate. Here's hoping you find a seam to ride out the current for a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, I'm just trying to remember that 98% of the stuff that's bothering me won't matter in three months, or even three days. Walking in the park with friends and dogs definitely helped, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you heard yet? They both sound like good options! Chattanooga has an awesome ring to it and a great theme song, but the Spirit of St. Louis sounds groovy too!

    ReplyDelete