Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Why I Need to Spend Less Time with the Internet

Because sometimes it seems like I spend more time looking at Facebook photos of my daughter than her actual face. Yes, this statement is hyperbolic, but not as much as I'd like it to be.

Because it's so easy to misinterpret what others are saying and even easier to assume the worst.

Because internet : compassion :: oil : water

Because one of my tweets was retweeted by five different strangers and I find this more unnerving than flattering.

Because there are piles of unread books and magazines scattered throughout my house.

Because so many people are expressing their beliefs by way of memes, many of which are glib, sloppy or dumb. This is the year of the meme election and it is excruciating.

Because now that I'm a parent, I find it harder to not click on news story links regarding abducted and murdered children.

Because I’ve decided that I have no space for mean and abusive people in my life.


Because, for now, it just isn't that cold outside.

Because I used to savor the feeling of sitting alone in a quiet room, but when I go offline after a lengthy session, sitting alone in a quiet room can feel scary. It's like I just awoke from a very real-seeming dream that wasn't entirely pleasant and I just can't shake it. But it must have been someone else's dream, because it doesn't tell me much about my real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment